CEP EVENING FELLOWSHIP
Theme: Hebrews 13: 8. DO NOT BE LED ASTRAY, JESUS CHRIST IS EVER THE SAME (NEVER CHANGES)
Hebrews 13: 8-9
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by eating ceremonial foods, which is of no benefit to those who do so.
Remarks from the word of God.
What does Jesus being ever the same mean?
From the beginning of the times, Jesus’s character has never changed. His likes (righteousness and holiness) have never changed and what he loathes (sins) stays the same. Throughout history, what Jesus requests of his followers remained the same and thus brethren, we beseech you not to be led astray for the standard of Christianity in the times of our forefathers still stays the same to date.
What does it mean to be led astray?
To be led astray can be when one deviates from the right path/way and misses the destination.
What is the right path/way?
The bible talks about this in Isaiah 35:8-10 (“And the highway will be there; it will be called the way of holiness; it will be for those who walk on that way. The unclean will not journey on it; wicked fools will not go about on it, no lion will be there, nor any ravenous beast; but only the redeemed will walk there, …). In addition, Jesus repeats and clarifies on this right path in the book of John 14: 6 (“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through me”). In short, if the ways of your pursuit contradict what the bible defines as the true and correct paths, then you have been led astray.
What causes pilgrims to deviate from the right path (to be led astray)
- Not knowing your destination. To Christians who believe in Jesus Christ the final destination is eternal life. While on the pilgrimage, some people pursue earthly materialistic stuff and they are oblivious to what really matters that they give little to no value of what should be the true destination. So, if you are not sure of what you are choosing, you are very likely to be led astray by false gospel
- Lack of information. The culture of not reading the bible is very common in today’s Christians. People are being led astray because they lack enough information about this journey. In fact, we should be reading the scripture daily to know what it takes to embark on the right path.
- False perception of the word of God. In today’s world, many have followed false interpretations of the bible and the leading culprit is the hyper grace (Abigisha b’ ubuntu) (beliefs that all sins, past, present, and future, has already been forgiven, so there is no need for a believer to ever confess it and also, they should go on sinning.) On the other hand, Apostle Paul, in his letter to Romans 6:1-2 says “What shall we say then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?” which shows that to desire to continue in sin shows a misunderstanding of this abundant grace and contempt for Jesus’s sacrifice”
Such false and strange teachings are not new, they were also present in the times of Apostle Paul where they were known as Nicolaitans as mentioned in the book of Revelation 2:6 and 2:15.
- Stay away from false teachings such as those of the Hyper grace for they contradict the truth of the scriptures.
- Make sure you’re on the right path before you’ve gone too far. Because the time and efforts wasted are non-refundable.
- Thank Lord that Jesus is ever the same. What would have become of us if Jesus were like a person? For we are ever changing and never consistent.
- Those who are led astray are those who were once on the correct path; you can never be led astray if you’re not on the road.
- Do not pursue the broad gates because it fulfills your desires for it leads to destruction, the gate to heaven is narrow.
- Make a personal assessment to evaluate if you are on the right path i.e if you have not deviated
420 total views, 4 views today